WHAT IF Turles Turned Good? (series)

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

HOW I GOT GOOD AT CREATING COMICS


HOW I GOT
GOOD
AT CREATING
COMICS

My journey as a comic writer and artist is an interesting one a lot of trial and error to say the least. I have been drawing all my life since the age when I figured out that Crayons weren't candy lol..
Now I wasn't born with ability to draw at the level I do today. Like most I could only draw stick figures. Like every artist I worked at it and kept going..

The same was said with my writing I had to work at it. Story writing in Primary school was always my favorite time coming up with not that I was very creative at the time. I started with doing stories about my favorite characters I use to see on TV. Such as Batman the Ninja Turtles, Goku you name it.

With stories came fanart which came inspiration.. Through my high school years was when I started creating my own characters, Chase Hoodlands, Almighty-Eye some of the first comics I ever done. They didn't turn out pretty good as far as the art went or even the story but thats a part of learning trial and error..

So how did I get my comic art to the standard they are today.. I started buying comics and reading a lot of them.. So I could learn how these professional talented comic artist created such amazing art work. And that's how I got better still a lot of trial and error though..
I'll tell you since I've started I've started reading comics I learned a lot about shading drawing expression how to draw many different like buildings.. Backgrounds was the hardest for me a loot of times when I drew backgrounds they looked shocking lol..

Wasn't until I started reading Spawn I got good at my backgrounds cause I was able to understand shading and light composition I also started taking trips to a city to learn how shading works when light hits a building at certain angles and I find that helps a lot.




Story writing developed over time through trial and error creating comics that didn't quite make the cut I made mistakes I got suspended for a week from school writing a really graphic story with real names oopes haha.. My point is I got better at writing stories through reading a lot of novels comics of course and other sources I was able to really improve my comic stories to now they flow page to page... Most importantly I achieve that mistakes through failures and mistakes..

4 bits of advice

first read a lot of comics so you can pick up art tips buy how to draw books invest in improving your art

second keep writing stories start small work your way up. If you read one of your stories and decide its bad ask yourself okay how can I make this story better. And of course read novels read books about writing an extension of investing in your craft

And third embrace your failures and mistakes and learn from them. We live in a society that grooms us to think if we mistakes we must be punished for it or that we're no good. You see that all the time at school when kids are punished for making a mistake while trying to learn.

You see it all the time when a adult is at work they make a mistake or fails to do a certain task and they are fired and out of a job.. You must forget that mindset if your going to pursue something like this..

support me at my store http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/RMcomics read web comics free at  https://tapas.io/melrosejryan/series support me on patreon https://www.patreon.com/ryanmelrosecomics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorrow Vs Facefeeder Part 1 animated short

Sorrow discovers a dead body that has been murdered in a way thats familiar to him using his ability to see the last moments of the dead he ...